Fred J. Winer, ISA CAPP, and Maureen S. Winer, ISA CAPP are the husband and wife team behind PWP. Together, they share more than 50 years experience as personal property appraisers. Fred and Maureen continue to hone their skills through continuing appraisal education courses. They work with a network of trained personal property appraisers throughout the United States and Canada to provide additional expert assistance to their clients.
Fred and Maureen guide their clients with compassion and understanding. They bring to their work a vast amount of expertise along with a deep commitment to excellence. Fred and Maureen have many years of direct work in the appraisal and auction arenas; and possess an in-depth knowledge of relevant, local, regional, and national markets.
PWP offers arm’s-length objectivity in both valuation and advisory capacities. Unencumbered by active or unstated interests in the marketplace, PWP provides independent appraisal reports, fully researched market analysis, and insightful advice you can count on without pressure to sell or consign your property.
Having prior experience in the auction industry, Maureen and Fred bring to their work a comprehensive overview of the venues in which their clients purchase and/or sell their items. Throughout the appraisal process, they offer thoughtful and practical guidance to help their clients choose the options best for them (e.g., downsizing or clearing clutter, selling or donating). Parting with Possessions’ appraisers are deeply dedicated professionals who thoroughly research the history, value, and marketability of each of their clients’ items.
Whether an appraisal is for an estate, divorce, tax deductible gifts, equitable liquidation, or probate, they provides their clients with the support and tools they need to part with their possessions as painlessly as possible.
Fred J. Winer, ISA CAPP
- Member of the National Board of the International Society of Appraisers
- Past-president of the National Board for ISA (2007-2009)
- Past-president of the Foundation for Appraisal Education (FAE)
- Former Chairman of The Emerging Issues Committee of The Appraisal Foundation Advisory Council (2007 to 2009)
- Former Vice-Chairman of the Personal Property Working Group of the Appraisal Foundation Advisory Council
- Global Vision Award, 2007-2009, International Society of Appraisers
- President’s Award , 2009-2010, International Society of Appraisers
- Distinguished Service Award, 2011-2012, International Society of Appraisers
- Outstanding Member Award, 2013-2014, International Society of Appraisers
- President’s Award, 2014-2015, International Society of Appraisers
- Best Antique Appraiser Award, 2010. Baltimore Magazine
Maureen S. Winer, ISA CAPP
Maureen S. Winer, ISA CAPP serves as an appraiser and consultant for her clients. While working as a defense litigation paralegal and a supervisor in three of Baltimore’s premier law firms, as well as the Johns Hopkins University, Office of the General Counsel, Maureen had the opportunity to hone her research, methodology, and leadership skills.
- Treasurer of the Board of the Foundation for Appraisal Education
- Past-president of the Foundation for Appraisal Education
- Treasurer, National Capital Area Chapter, ISA
- Past secretary of the Baltimore chapter of WIFS (Women in Insurance and Financial Services)
- Maureen was awarded the ISAs President’s Award in 2015.
Choosing an Appraiser
- There is no licensing or certification for personal property appraisers through any federal or state governmental agencies; however, the IRS does require a ‘qualified appraiser’ for federal donation and estate appraisal reports.
- No formal training is required to perform a personal property appraiser; therefore, you should advocate for yourself and engage only those persons who have been trained and tested by one the three recognized personal property appraisal societies, such as the International Society of Appraisers (ISA).
- Fred and Maureen have undergone and continue to undergo rigorous training and testing with ISA as well as other leading antique, fine art and decorative accessories, and appraisal training.
- As trained and certified appraisers we are qualified to discuss with you the valuation method which applies to your needs.
- If you have a variety of items to be appraised we will contact and coordinate the work of any experts you may need to complete the assignment.
- We charge only on an hourly or per diem rate. It is unethical to accept payment based on the value of the item(s) being appraised
- Your appraiser should be willing to provide you with references.
- Your appraiser should be willing share your CV with you.